Adult-use Cannabis Consumer FAQ

How much adult-use cannabis can I buy at one time? Are there weekly or monthly limits on purchases of adult-use cannabis?

Eligible recreational users can buy up to the legal possession limit at one time. That’s 2 ounces of cannabis, 16 g of concentrate and 800 mg of edibles. There is no monthly or weekly limit.

Can I have cannabis with me when I’m in public? Is it OK to keep in my purse or my car?

Adults 21 and over can legally possess up to 2 ounces of cannabis, 16 g of concentrate and 800 mg of edibles. Where you want to keep it is up to you.

Any more than the above levels must be stored in a private residence out of public view.

Of course, if you do have cannabis products in your car, remember that you may not consume cannabis and operate a motor vehicle. Driving while intoxicated is a major public safety issue and police will be cracking down on violators.

Where can I smoke cannabis?

The best place to smoke cannabis is at your home or a licensed cannabis consumption area.

Can I smoke in public? What about a park?

No. You cannot smoke cannabis in public. It is prohibited by the Cannabis Regulation Act and punishable with a fine up to $50.

 Parks, as public spaces, are also not places to smoke. Consumers should be even more careful on federal lands as even the possession of cannabis is illegal at the federal level and those laws are federally enforced.

Can I smoke or consume adult-use cannabis/cannabis edibles at work?

Employers set the terms for behavior at their workplaces. However, it is not recommended that recreational users consume cannabis while on the job.

Can my city or town ban adult-use cannabis facilities?

No. Local communities can place reasonable time, place and manner restrictions on cannabis businesses to reflect community needs and values. However, a local community cannot outright ban cannabis businesses.

The only exception to this is consumption areas. Local jurisdictions can opt out of allowing consumption areas. if that is the right decision for them.

Can I consume adult-use cannabis products in public if I’m not smoking? Are edibles OK for public consumption?

No. All public consumption is prohibited and punishable with a citation and a fine up to $50.

What is the difference between medical and adult use cannabis?

Medical cannabis is cannabis consumed by a patient who is experiencing an illness, such as anxiety or the side effects of chemotherapy, that is known to be helped by cannabis consumption. Patients must be seen by a medical provider who is specially authorized to prescribe patients to use medical cannabis. A patient then receives a medical card and can purchase up 15 oz of cannabis every 90 days tax free. Medical cannabis can also be sold in servings up to 50mg of THC with no limit of the number of servings sold per container. This is higher than the adult-use limits of 10 mg per serving and 100 mg per package.

Adult-use cannabis is available for sale to anyone 21 and older. Adult-use cannabis can be purchased up to 2 ounces of cannabis, 16 g of concentrate and 800 mg of edibles and is subject to state taxes. There is no monthly limit to the amount of adult-use cannabis an eligible buyer can purchase.

Other than the packaging limitations, the plants and everything derived from them are the same.

Can employers ban my use of cannabis?

Yes. Workplaces set their own rules based on the needs of their workplace. Be sure to check your employer’s rules for cannabis consumption prior to consuming cannabis.

Can I purchase cannabis as a qualifying patient and also adult use cannabis?

Yes. Once a medical patient has reached their monthly medicine limit, they can purchase adult-use products and they will pay taxes on those products.

Will cannabis be available for sale in all New Mexico counties?

Not necessarily. While adult-use cannabis sales are legal from licensed retailers in every county, not every county will have a licensed retailer. We recommend a quick online search to find retailers near you.

Are there limits on the amount that can be purchased?

Yes. Adult-use cannabis consumers cannot purchase more than 2 oz of cannabis, 16 g of concentrate and 800 mg of edibles at one time. However, there is no limit to the number of purchases a consumer can make in one day. There is also no weekly or monthly limit for adult-use consumers.

Medical patients can purchase up to 15 oz every 90 days.

What is the Cannabis Control Division?

The Cannabis Control Division is the regulatory agency in state government that oversees the licensing of cannabis businesses and the enforcement of cannabis industry rules and regulations. The CCD’s mission is to support a thriving adult-use cannabis and medical cannabis program that provides high-quality products for consumers and safe workplaces for employees.

What licenses does a cannabis business need? What do I look for when I walk in a retail store? (license type)

In order to operate, a cannabis business needs three things: a license from the Cannabis Control Division; a certificate of occupancy from their local government, and a certificate of fitness from the State Fire Marshall. If you have any concerns about a business’ status, feel free to ask for these pieces of documentation.